These are a collection of some useful Open Source office application that are helpful by increasing productivity. Often a person would be limited in buying an expensive piece of software to perform basic task in any work environment. Today however we are lucky that their are entire communities of creative developers who’ve made practical alternative software from the expensive counterpart software. Although there are many open source application available for free, its always nice to show support for the creators by donating to their projects when possible.
1) LibreOffice: Is an entire office software bundle that allows you to tools that are similar to other popular office programs such as Microsoft Office. With LibreOffice you will include:
- Writer is a Word document editor that functions just like your favorite documenting software equipped with formatting and spell check.
- Calc application, which serves as an Microsoft Excel application alternative.
- Impress which is a PowerPoint alternative.
- Draw is basic photo/image editor.
- Base Database Is similar to Microsoft Access which is used as an information management tool. This can analyze large amount of data efficiently from a spread sheet style application.
- Match is a program that will perform and assist in completing mathematical problems, formulas, and other equations.
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac
2) Mozilla Thunder bird: The wide selection of add-on’s for this email client makes it very flexible, secure and easy to use. Highly recommended for desktop and power users. The tons of extensions and themes for this client makes it very secure and flexible to enhance your productivity.Some of the features included are….
- Easy set up
- Tabbed email
- Multichannel chat
- Built in search bar for the web
- Auto update and phishing protections features.
Platforms: Windows,Mac, Lunix
3) GIMP :
GIMP shop is a modification of the free/open source GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP), intended to replicate the feel of Adobe Photoshop. Its primary purpose is to make users of Photoshop feel comfortable using GIMP.This suite resembles most the all useful tools,effects, and abilities as the Adobe Photoshop.
- Photo enhancement
- Channel mixer
- Digital retouching
- Supports a wide range of file formats
Platforms: Linux,Windows, Mac, and Solaris/FreeBSD.
4) Putty :
PuTTY is a free implementation of Telnet and SSH for Windows and Unix platforms, It is written and maintained primarily by Simon Tatham.
The latest version is beta 0.63.
Most system administrators, network engineers, and many developers, have a need to connect to remote systems on a regular basis. Unfortunately, Windows does not ship with the tools to do this, leaving these IT professionals on their own. PuTTY neatly fills this gap.
- Allows SSH encryption key/protocol connection.
- Control over port forwarding with SSH
- Public-key authentication support
- Stores host and preferences for later
Platforms: Windows and Unix
5) 7-ZIP :
is the new archive format, providing high compression ratio.
The main features of 7z format:
- Open architecture
- High compression ratio
- Strong AES-256 encryption
- Ability of using any compression, conversion or encryption method
- Supporting files with sizes up to 16000000000 GB
- Unicode file names
- Solid compressing
- Archive headers compressing
Platforms: Windows, Linux, and a unofficial package for Mac called EZ 7z.
6) Teamviewer : Remote control access to any computer or Mac over the internet with the use of Teamviewer. Find out why more than 200 million users trust Teamviewer! This application is useful when you want to remotely connect to someones PC for multiple reasons such as tech support, assisting in file management, or just gain control access to your work PC from great distances. As always there’s a variety of other free and paid versions of this application but this is a useful tools that has been tested.
- Great for online meetings.
- It’s free for personal use
- One click video calls
- Whiteboard for remote control
- Allows for group meetings
Platform: Windows,Mac, Linux, and mobile
7)Encryptr : This application is a free open sourced password manager. The goal is to be simple, private and secure. What Encryptr does is encrypts or decrypts your data locally on your device. No plain text is ever sent to the server, not even your pass phrase.
- open source, free
- encrypts and decrypts data
- Only the user will have the capability to have access to read encrypted data.
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linus, and Mobile